INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis police officer suffered minor injuries early Sunday after his service-weapon discharged during a struggle with a man having a mental crisis.
The following is a summary of events from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department:
On Sunday, August 22, 2021, at approximately 1:53 am, officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) Southeast District responded to check the welfare of an individual experiencing a mental/emotional crisis as well as suicidal thoughts. Once on scene, officers contacted the individual and his family members. The officers used their mental health and de-escalation training while speaking with the male.
While waiting for an ambulance to transport him to the hospital for evaluation, the male, unprovoked lunged at the officer and grabbed the officer’s gun, which was holstered. During the struggle for the gun, it discharged injuring the male suspect’s finger and the officer’s leg. The fired round did not penetrate the officer’s skin. The officer and the suspect were transported to the hospital. The officer has since been released and is at home with this family.
The information provided is preliminary and subject to change. (Content was gathered from the police CAD and the preliminary investigation)
- IMPD Southeast District officers responded to check the welfare of an individual having a mental/emotional crisis. Responding officers were informed that the individual was having suicidal thoughts.
- Officers arrived at the scene and encountered the individual outside of a residence.
- While waiting for medical transport, the male suspect unprovoked, lunged at the officer grabbing the officer’s gun, which was holstered.
- During the fight for the gun, it discharged.
- The officer received a leg injury and the suspect received a minor injury to his finger.
- The suspect fled on foot and was apprehended by assisting officers.
- The officer and suspect were both transported to area hospitals in stable condition.
- Officers had on body-worn cameras, which were activated at the time of the incident.
- IMPD’s Chaplain’s Office responded to the scene to provide support for individuals involved in this incident.
- The IMPD Critical Incident Response Team responded to the scene to conduct the criminal investigation. The Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency is assisting with this investigation.
- The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office is being consulted throughout the investigation.
- The Police Officer Support Team (POST) responded to provide peer support for officers.
- The officer has been released from the hospital and is in good condition.
- As of this morning, the suspect is still in the hospital.
- The suspect was preliminarily charged with battery on a police officer, criminal recklessness, disarming a law enforcement officer, and resisting law enforcement.